M.Div., Th.D. (University of Zurich)
Email: email@example.com | Tel: 3943-1368 | Office: KKB 304
Tobias Brandner received his doctoral degree from the University of Zurich based on a systematic-theological study on the ecumenical search for unity. He currently teaches history of Western and Asian Christianity (excluding China and Hong Kong), mission studies, and ecumenical studies. His research focuses on Christian ministry and pastoral theology in prison, on mission movements in Asia both past and present, on Christianity in Southeast Asia, and on post-denominational theological movements, especially charismatic and revivalist Christianity. His core interest is on the interaction between Christian faith and political and social or personal change.
His most recent publications in English include
1. “A Case Study on Conversion in the Context of Prison in Hong Kong: Experiences, Narratives, and Transformations.” International Journal of Practical Theology 22 (1) / 2018: 1–19;
2. “Basel Mission and Revolutions in Nineteenth and Twentieth-Century China: Debating Societal Renewal.” Mission Studies 35 (2018), 7–30;
3. “Pentecostals in the Public Sphere: Between Counterculturalism and Adaptation (Observations from the Chinese Context in Hong Kong).” PentecoStudies16.1 (2017), 117–137;
4. two encyclopedia articles on Cambodia and on Laos in the Encyclopedia of Christianity in the Global South, edited by Mark A. Lamport a.o. (Rowman & Littlefield 2018, 113-117. 445-449);
5. “Volunteer Visitors in Prison. Prison Ministry as a Ministry to the Community.“In Ryan van Eijk a.o. (eds.), For Justice and Mercy. International Reflections on Prison Chaplaincy(Deel 8 uit de Publicatiereeks van het Centrum voor Justitiepastoraat Tilburg / Amsterdam), Oisterwijk: Wolf Legal Publishers (WLP) 2016, 131-146; or
6. the book Beyond the Walls of Separation. Christian Faith and Ministry in Prison, Eugene, Oregon: Cascade, 2014 (also published in Chinese as 鐵窗內的心靈世界：香港基督教監獄事工面面觀，基道出版社，2010);
7. in German, “Missionare als Kritiker des Komitees“ in Interkulturelle Theologie. Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft42.2-3 / 2016, 194-206; and
8. in Chinese the book 白德培(2016a). 分久必合，合久必分: 從耶穌時代到改革前夕的西方基督教批判史(莫介文譯), 香港：明風出版社，2016 (Tobias Brandner, Tradition, Transmission, Transformations: A Critical History of Christianity from the Time of Jesus to the Eve of the Reformation. Translated by Bryan Mok. Hong Kong: Ming Feng Press, 2016).