Ph.D. (Indiana University, Bloomington)
Peichi Chung received her Ph.D. from the Department of Telecommunication, Indiana University-Bloomington. Her teaching and research interests include new media and digital culture. In her teaching, she focuses on new development in media cultural studies. She examines issues related to new media production and cultural policy in sub-regional locations within Asia. Her research focuses on media industry analysis at both corporation and government levels. Her current research projects extend to esports in East Asia, independent game in Asia and representation of Hong Kong in video game. Since 2006, she intensively studied innovation dynamics in online game industries. She has conducted cross-country research in Asia, analysing new media industries in Korea, China, Singapore and other Southeast Asian countries. She continues to work on her longitudinal ethnographic research about play culture and game industry dynamics in East and Southeast Asia.
- Game studies, play culture, cultural studies, new media studies, political economy of communication, cultural and creative industries, cultural policy
- “Archiving Hong Kong in Video Game”, Project Sponsored by CUHK Research Committee Funding (Direct Grant) from the period 2021-05-22 to 2022-05-21.
- “The Online Distribution Strategies of Independent Application Game Developers in Hong Kong, China and South Korea” (U516042). Project Sponsored by Research Grants Council-General Research Fund during the period 2015-09-01 to 2017-08-31.
- “A Cultural Analysis of Popular Media Production and Consumption in Southeast Asia” (AL11674). Project Sponsored by CUHK Research Committee Funding (Direct Grant) during the period 2012-01-16 to 2013-09-15.
- Chung, P. (2021). Media Technologies for Work and Play in East Asia: Critical Perspectives on Japan and the Two Koreas. Bristol, UK: Bristol University Press. (Co-edited with Micky Lee)
- Chung, P. (2021). "South Korea's Esports Industry in Northeast Asia: History, Ecosystem and Digital Labour". In Micky Lee & Peichi Chung (Eds). Media Technologies for Work and Play in East Asia: Critical Perspectives on Japan and the Two Koreas. Bristol, UK: Bristol University Press.
- Chung, P. (2018). "Hong Kong Cinema: Reconnecting Its Southeast Asian Heritage". In Willing Collaborators: Foreign Partners in Chinese Media. In Handbook of China’s Cultural and Creative Industries, eds. Michael Keane, Brian Yecies & Terry Flew (Eds). Pp. Rowman & Littlefield International.
- Chung, P. (2017). "Soft Power and Cultural Industries: Cultural Policy and Inter-Asian Regional Flows in Hong Kong and Singapore". In The Routledge Handbook on Soft Power, eds. Naren Chitty, Li Ji, Gary Rawnsey & Craig Hayden. London: Routledge.
- Chung, P. (2017). “Revisiting the Creative Industry Models for Game Industry Development in Southeast Asia.” In Global Game Industry Policies, eds. A. Fung & M. Zhao. Basingstroke, UK: Palgrave McMillan.
- Chung, P. (2015). "The Globalization of Game Art in Southeast Asia." In Larissa Hjorth & Olivia Khoo (Eds). Handbook of New Media in Asia. Pp. 402-415. Routledge: New York.
- Chung, P. (2014). "South Korea." In Mark Wolf (Ed). Video Games Around the World. Pp. 495-520. Boston, MA: The MIT Press.
>> Click here to view the detailed CV of Prof. CHUNG Peichi.
Professor Chung Peichi | Research keywords for Cultural Studies: Game Studies